From Wikipedia, the free of charge encyclopedia
Leap to: nav, search
" NGO" redirects in this article. For various other uses, observe NGO (disambiguation). | This content may need to always be rewritten completely to conform to Wikipedia's quality standards. You are able to help. The topic page may possibly contain recommendations. (January 2012) | A nongovernmental corporation (NGO) is actually a legally constituted organization developed by normal or legal persons that operates separately from any kind of form of government. The term descends from the United Nations (UN), and is normally used to refer to organizations that are not a part of the government and are not regular for-profit business. In the cases in which NGOs are financed totally or perhaps partially by simply governments, the NGO preserves its non-governmental status by excluding government representatives coming from membership in the organization. The term is usually used only to organizations that go after wider cultural aims that contain political factors, but are not openly personal organizations including political functions. The number of NGOs operating in the usa is estimated at 40, 000. International numbers are actually higher: The ussr has 277, 000 NGOs; India is usually estimated to have around 3. 3 million NGOs in year 2009, which is approximately one NGO per 500 Indians, and lots of times the amount of primary educational institutions and primary well being centres in India. Contents * 1 Classification * a couple of Types 5. 2 . you Development, Environment and Human being Rights NGOs * installment payments on your 2 Track II Diplomacy * three or more Activities * 3. one particular Operational 5. 3. two Campaigning 5. 3. a few Both * 3. 5 Public relations 5. 3. 5 Project supervision * 5 Corporate framework * some. 1 Staffing requirementws * four. 2 Funding * 4. 3 Overhead costs * some. 4 Monitoring and control * a few History * 6 Legal status 2. 7 Critiques * six. 1 Difficulties to legitimacy * eight See also * being unfaithful References * 10 Even more reading 2. 11 Exterior links| Classification
NGOs are difficult to define and sort out, and the term 'NGO' is usually not employed consistently. Consequently, there are many different classifications in use. The most typical use a construction that includes orientation and amount of operation. A great NGO's alignment refers to the type of activities it takes on. These types of activities may well include human rights, environmental, or advancement work. A great NGO's degree of operation shows the scale from which an organization performs, such as regional, international or perhaps national. " Confronting the Classification Issue: Toward a Taxonomy of NGOs" One of many earliest brings up of the phrase " NGO" was in 1945, when the UN was created. The UN, which can be an inter-governmental organization, made it possible for certain approved specialised international non-state agencies - or nongovernmental organisations - to be awarded observer status at its devices and some of its meetings. Later the word became utilized more widely. Today, according to the EL, any kind of non-public organization that is independent from government control can be known as an " NGO", offered it is not-profit, non-criminal and not an competitors political party. Professor Philip Willetts, in the University of London, states the definition of NGOs could be interpreted in another way by several organizations and depending on a situation's context. He specifies an NGO as " " persistent voluntary affiliation of people acting together on a continuous basis for some common purpose besides achieving federal government office, earning profits or unlawful activities. " In this view, two primary types of NGOs happen to be recognized according to the activities they will pursue: detailed NGOs that deliver solutions and campaigning NGOs. Even though Willetts suggests the detailed and advertising NGOs as being a tool to differentiate the key activities of those organizations, he also clarifies that a sole NGO may possibly often become engaged in both equally activities. A large number of NGOs likewise see these people as mutually reinforcing. Professor Akira Iriye defines NGO as " a voluntary...
References: 1 ) ^ Anheier et ing., " Global Civil World 2001", 2001
3. ^ " India: More NGOs, than schools and health centres". OneWorld. net. July six, 2010. Recovered 2011-10-07.
5. ^ " First recognized estimate: An NGO for each 400 people in India". The Indian Express. September 7, 2010.
6. ^ Iriye, Akira (2004). Global communityВ: the role of international businesses in the producing of the modern day world (1. paperback printing. ed. ). Berkeley, Calif. [u. a. ]: Univ. of California Press. ISBNВ 9780520231283.
doze. ^ " Poll shows power of AIPAC drops slightly". Jewish Information Weekly of Northern Cal. 1999-12-19. Gathered 2007-06-25.
15. ^ NG-Uh-O - The trouble with humanitarianism David Rieff, June twelve, 2010, The New Republic
20. ^ " Nationwide NGOs Serving as PRs Excluded from your Global Fund 's Insurance plan on Percentage-Based Overhead Costs". 2012.
twenty-one. ^ Kuby, Christopher GibbsВ; Claudia FumoВ; Thomas (1999). Nongovernmental companies in World Financial institution supported projectsВ: a review (2. ed. ed. ). Washington, D. C.: World Bank. pp. В 21. ISBNВ 978-0-8213-4456-9.
twenty-two. ^ Crowther, edited simply by GГјler Aras, David (2010). NGOs and social responsibility (1st education. ed. ). Bingley, UK: Emerald. pp. В 121. ISBNВ 978-0-85724-295-2.
23. ^ Kassahun, Samson (2004). Sociable capital pertaining to synergic partnershipВ: development of poor localities in urban Ethiopia (1. Aufl. ed. ). GГ¶ttingen: Cuvillier. pp. В 153. ISBNВ 978-3-86537-222-2.
26. ^ Engler, Fenton, Yves, Anthony (2005). Canada in Haiti: Waging War on the indegent Majority. Vancouver, Winnipeg: REDDISH Publishing. p. В 120. ISBNВ 978-1-55266-168-0. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
30. ^ Subcontracting Peacefulness - The Challenges of NGO Peacebuilding. Edited by: Richmond, Oliver P., and Carey, Holly F. Posted by Ashgate, 2005. Webpage 21.
thirty-one. ^ Davies, Thomas Rich (2007). The options of Transnational Activism: the Campaign pertaining to Disarmament between Two Universe Wars. ISBNВ 978-90-04-16258-7.
35. ^ Boli, J. and Jones, G. M. (1997) World Culture on the globe Polity: A hundred years of Worldwide Non-Governmental Firm. American Sociological Review. pp. 177
38. ^ Grant N. Stillman (2007), Global Standard NGOs, Geneva: Lulu, pp. 13-14.
39. ^ Stuart Alan Becker (January twenty-eight, 2011). " The conclusive description of your nongovernment organisation". The Phnom Penh Content. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
40. ^ Shivji, Issa G. (2007). Silence in NGO discourse: the role and way forward for NGOs in Africa. Oxford, UK: Fahamu. p. В 84. ISBNВ 978-0-9545637-5-2.
forty one. ^ Pfeiffer, J. the year 2003. International NGOs and primary medical care in Macia, mozambique: the need for a new model of cooperation. Social Science & Treatments 56 (4): 725.
42. ^ Pfeiffer, J. the year 2003. International NGOs and primary medical in Macia, mozambique: the need for a new model of cooperation. Social Technology & Medication 56 (4): 725-738.
43. ^ T. Pfeiffer. (2003). International NGOs and primary medical in Macia, mozambique: the need for a new model of collaboration. Social Research & Medicine 56 (2003) 725-738
45. ^ Bond, Meters. (2000) The Backlash against NGOs. Prospective client (magazine).
forty eight. ^ Discover his Damming the Ton (Verso, London, 2007. )
60. ^ Ashraf Cassiem: Southern region African Amount of resistance Against Evictions, Marlon Crump, Poor Mag, 2009
52. ^ Putin, Vladimir (February 10, 2007). Conversation and the Following Discussion in the Munich Conference on Secureness Policy (Speech). 43rd Munich Conference on Security Insurance plan. Munich, Indonesia. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
57. ^ a b c Edwards, M. and Hulme, Deb. (2002) NGO Performance and Accountability: Intro and Overview. " In: Edwards, Meters. and Hulme, D., male impotence. 2002. " The Earthscan Reader about NGO Supervision. UK: Earthscan Publications Limited. Chapter eleven.
58. ^ Neera Chandhoke. (2005) " How Global Is Global Civil Contemporary society? " Journal of World-Systems Research, 11, 2, june 2006, pp. 326-327.
59. ^ Edwards, M. and Hulme, D. (2002) Beyond the wonder Bullet? Lessons and A conclusion. " In: Edwards, Meters. and Hulme, D., impotence. 2002. " The Earthscan Reader in NGO Management. UK: Earthscan Publications Ltd. Chapter doze.
60. ^ a n Edwards, M. and Hulme, D. (1996) Too Close for ease and comfort? The impact of official help on Non-Governmental Organisations. " World Expansion. " 24(6), pp. 961-973.
61. ^ Ebrahim, A. (2003) Answerability in practice: Mechanisms for NGOs. " World Development. " 31(5), pp. 813-829.
sixty two. ^ a b Lindenberg, M. and Bryant, C. (2001) Going Global: Modifying Relief and Development NGOs. Bloomfield: Kumarian Press.
63. ^ Jenkins, R. (2001) Corporate Codes of Conduct: Self-Regulation within a Global Economic system. " Technology, Business and Society Plan Paper Second seed. " United Nations Research Start for Social Development.
sixty four. ^ Pfeiffer, J. 2003. International NGOs and primary health care in Mozambique: the need for a new model of cooperation. Social Research & Medication 56(4): 725-738.
65. ^ Avina, L. (1993) The Evolutionary Existence Cycles in the event nongovernmental Development Organisations. " Public Government and Expansion. " 13(5), pp. 453-474.
66. ^ Anheier, L. and Themudo, N. (2002) Organisational forms of global detrimental society: Ramifications of going global. In: Anheier, They would. Glasius, Meters. Kaldor, Meters, ed 2002.
* Olivier Berthoud, NGOs: Somewhere between Empathy, Profitability and Solidarity Envio. org. ni, PDF Edinter. net Envio, Managua, 2001
* Terje Tvedt, 19982/2003: Angels of Mercy or perhaps Development Diplomats
* Sam W. Witt, ed. Changing Roles of NGOs inside the Creation, Storage, and Spread of Information in Developing Countries (Saur, 2006). ISBN 3-598-22030-8
* Cox, P
* Ann Florini, ed. The next Force: The Rise of Transnational City Society (Carnegie Endowment intended for International Peace and The japanese Center intended for International Exchange, 2001).
2. Margaret Keck and Kathryn Sikkink. 98. Activists Over and above Borders: Care Networks in International National politics. Cornell University Press
* Rodney Bruce Hall, and Biersteker, Jones
* Dorthea Hilhorst, Real life of NGOs: Discourses, Diversity and Expansion, Zed Catalogs, 2003
* Joan Roelofs, Foundations and Public Insurance plan: The Hide of Pluralism (Albany: State University of New York Press, 2003).
2. Ian Smillie, & Minear, Larry, editors. The Charitable organisation of Nations: Humanitarian Action within a Calculating Globe, Kumarian Press, 2004
5. Simon Maxwell and Diane Stone
* Sidney Tarrow, The New Transnational Activism, New YorkВ: Cambridge University Press, 2005
2. Thomas Keep, editor
* H. Teegen, 2003. вЂInternational NGOs while Global Organizations: Using Interpersonal Capital to Impact International Enterprises and Governments', Journal of Worldwide Management.
* Jennifer Brinkerhoff, Stephen C. Smith, and Hildy Teegen, NGOs and the Millennium Creation Goals: Resident Action to lower Poverty, Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
* Teegen, H. Doh, J., Vachani, S., 2005. " The value of non-governmental organisation in global governance and value creation: a worldwide business study agenda" in Journal of International Organization Studies. Washington: Vol. thirty-five, Iss. six.
* T. Rodman, (1998). " вЂThink Globally, Punish Locally: Nonstate Actors, Multinational Corporations, and Human Privileges Sanctions" in Ethics in International Affairs, vol. 12.
* Offer B. Stillman (2006), NGO Law and Governance: one book, ADB Institute, Tokyo, ISBN 4-89974-013-1.
* They would. Englund, Criminals of Flexibility: Human Rights & the Africa Poor, University of California Press, 2006
2. Carrie She, The Economics and Governmental policies of NGOs in Latin America, Praeger Publishers, July 30, 1999
* Lyal S. Sunga, " NGO Involvement in International Man Rights Monitoring, International Man Rights Legislation and nongovernmental Organizations" (2005) 41-69.
2. Werker & Ahmed (2008): What do nongovernmental Organizations perform?
* Steve Charnovitz, " Two Decades of Participation: NGOs and International Governance, " The state of michigan Journal of International Rules, Vol